Named by Mr Alf Luck in honour of his long-time friend in the racing fraternity, Mr William Henry Valentine, who was appointed secretary of the Tasmanian Turf Club in 1891, a position he held for the next 23 years.
After Valentine’s resignation, the next secretary was Mr Andrew Raeburn, formerly headmaster of Scotch College, Launceston. On his retirement, Valentine was honoured by the TTC with life membership, being the first official of the Club to be so honoured.
WH Valentine was the son of Dr Valentine of “The Grange”, Campbell Town. Dr Valentine was widely respected in the community He was also a keen astronomer and the gate posts at the entrance to “The Grange” are made of parts of the tube of Dr Valentine’s telescope.
Dr Valentine was at the centre of an extraordinary incident at the ordination in St Luke’s Church, Campbell Town of the Revd K E Kirkland, when Dr Valentine stood forth and objected to the ordination on the ground that Mr Kirkland, on approaching the alter, kneeled at the west end facing east and that this was indicative of unsound doctrine. The Bishop ‘surceased from ordering’ Mr Kirkland and the case was referred to the “Trier of the Church Court”. Dr Valentine subsequently withdrew his objections and Mr Kirkland was priested at the Cathedral.