This street was named after Henry Trueman Russell of HT Russell & Sons Pty Ltd, builders.
HT Russell was born in Manchester, England. After first spending time in America, he was attracted by the gold rush in 1854 and erected houses in Ballarat. After a time in Hobart, he eventually came to Launceston in 1860 where he joined the building firm of William Tyson. On Mr Tyson’s retirement 17 years later, Russell commenced his own business.
HT Russell was instrumental in the adoption of the eight hour day in the building trade in 1874. He presented the handsome gates at the entrance to the Cataract Cliff grounds. One of the most notable structures erected by the firm is the terrace of brick dwellings (built for John Hart) on the southern aspect of Cameron Street, between Charles and Wellington Streets.
Retiring in 1900, Russell’s business was carried on by his sons Frederick and Joseph, and subsequently by Frederick with his son Allan Russell.