Landale Street, Invermay

December 7, 2018 | InvermayStreet & Suburb HistoryStreet Talk

Dr Thomas Landale qualified in medicine in Edinburgh and arrived in Sydney as a ship’s surgeon in 1821.

He shortly obtained a grant of 800 acres at Campbell Town. He practiced medicine in Hobart for a year before moving to Launceston where he bought Elphin Farm and married Harriett, the eldest daughter of Richard Dry Senior. Landale was highly regarded as a medical practitioner and for a time practiced with Dr W R Pugh (of anaesthetic fame).

He became one of the most prosperous and respected citizens of the city, owning a large amount of property (including the area adjacent to Landale Street). Landale readily gave free advice and medication to those unable to afford them.

Landale was one of a group of prominent citizens who formed the Cornwall Turf Club, the first meeting of which was held at what is now Racecourse Crescent on 9 March 1830. Landale, with Gleadow, Thomas, Dry and Lawrence, also formed the Tamar Steam Navigation Company in 1832 who steamers plied between Launceston and George Town.

He died in 1851 at the age of 56. His wife subsequently married the Revd W A Brooke, who became the third headmaster of the Launceston Church Grammar School.

Richard Bailey - Property Representative

View full profile