Lamont Street sits at the northern end of Invermay and only has houses on the southern side of the street.
Until recently the White City Greyhound track was on the northern side but more recently this was moved to the Mowbray Racing Centre and this site is how housing modern warehouses and businesses.
The houses in Lamont Street are not as old as either Albion or Taylor Street, with an odd exception – most were built between 1920 and 1930. There are a couple of older character homes in the street with 1 Lamont Street being built in 1900.
Lamont Street is within a couple of minutes’ walk to Heritage Forest, which is one of Launceston’s best walking spots.
It would appear that the street was named after Mr John Lamont of Invermay, who was the first to advocate the bringing of water from St Patrick’s River to supply Launceston, and suggested this to WS Button, the first Mayor of Launceston. After investigation, George Babington, the Town Surveyor, reported favourably. The works were opened on 23 October 1857 by the then Mayor, Henry Dowling.
John Lamont was one of the original settlers in the Invermay area where his farm adjoined that of William Henty. His son James kept a detailed diary in his teen years and later which gives insight into life on the Invermay farm in the 1840’s and 50’s.