Named in honour of William Lushington Goodwin who came from a sea-faring family of Kent, England and sailed to Sydney as master of the convict transport, Kains.
After a voyage of eight months in which she had to withstand storms, mutiny, near attack by pirates and shortage of food and water, the Kains went on to Launceston to take troops to India but was wrecked in the Tamar in Whirlpool Reach (the hull of the wreck was purchased and towed to Launceston, roofed over and made into a bond store).
Captain Goodwin unsuccessfully applied for the position of port officer, which was won by Captain Matthew Curling Friend. He edited the Independent newspaper, and then became editor and proprietor of the Cornwall Chronicle. In it he made vitriolic attacks on Captain Friend and also on Lieutenant-Governor Arthur, the Church of England and the civil service, all of which brought many defamatory actions.
In the midst of his attacks on Friend, the latter’s wife suddenly died and the public blamed Goodwin for her death. He continued his attacks on Sir John Franklin, Henry Dowling, NL Kentish and other.
Ill health and bankruptcy forced him to try and dispose of his newspaper, but he continued as proprietor and was associated in editorship with D’Arcy Wentworth Murray (his son-in-law) and with RM Innes.
In 1854 Goodwin became an Alderman of the city and was elected to the Legislative Council as Member for Cornwall in 1855.
He became coroner for George Town where he spent his latter years and died at ‘The Grove’ in 1862. After his death, the Cornwall Chronicle was bought by the Examiner in 1869.