Dr Matthias Gaunt came from England in 1830, but never practiced medicine in Tasmania.
He was granted the area including the headland at Windermere where he cultivated vines and milled wheat. Thanks to his wife, Dr Gaunt has left us the pretty, square-towered church of St Matthias at Windermere, built in 1842 to the design of James Blackburn. Mrs Gaunt had refused to emigrate unless her husband promised to build a church should there be none where they settled.
Dr Gaunt built a windmill and later a steam mill, and his Union flour won first prize at the London Exhibition in 1851. He was one of the early trustees of the Launceston Church Grammar School. Gaunt owned land off Invermay Road, and he was a member of the Committee of the Northern Tasmanian Railway League.