Street Talk – Eddington Crescent, Invermay

August 17, 2018 | InvermayStreet & Suburb HistoryStreet Talk

Named after John Edington Cameron who owned the land.

He and Mr Major Hobart Wood built many houses in this area. As happens sometimes, the spelling has changed – on this occasion with the extra ‘d’ when the nameplate was put up in the 1920’s.

‘Jack’ Cameron was born in the United Kingdom and spent some time in Shanghai with the British Tobacco Company. He then settled at Gravelly Beach where he had an orchard. He set up a toy factory on the corner of Eddington Crescent and Invermay Road. This was part of a subdivision know as Berwick Park – earlier the home of Robert McKenzie.

The family name of Edington came from a Captain Edington who was master of a ship which in the 1850’s laid a cable down the coast of Brazil, in recognition of which the President of Brazil granted the Captain a crest, which still adorns his grave at the Auld Kirk Cemetery, North Berwick, East Lothian, Scotland.

Eddington Crescent runs in a semi-circle and joins up with Rosslyn Road.

Richard Bailey - Property Representative

View full profile