Dunning and Brown was a firm of ‘drapers, tailors, milliners, dressmakers and carpet warehousemen’ in Brisbane Street, on the corner of Charles and Brisbane Streets.
‘Specialists in the finest knitting wools’, their well known sign was a large Golden Fleece – a large wooden carving preserved and now on show in the Queen Victoria Museum.
The warehouse was established by Mrs Dunning in 1865, and later carried on by her son, John Dunning. On his death, his son Charles carried on the firm in partnership with Mr John Brown. This was one of the early department stores in Launceston.
Dunning Street is a short no through street that runs off Holbrook Street.