Bedford Street is a short one way street that runs between Invermay Road and Holbrook Street and features a couple of workshops and mainly small cottages.
Located within walking distance to UTAS Stadium and the Inveresk Precinct it is one of the earlier streets, and it is not certain which Bedford the street honours. A possible contender, although he died in 1852, is a Church of England clergyman, the Revd William Bedford, who in 1822 was appointed to succeed Revd Robert Knopwood as Minister of St David’s Church in Hobart. He was also made Superintendent of Schools, thus having both clerical and educational duties to the whole island. This involved him in a lot of travel when this was no easy matter.
Bedford was very devoted in his work, and because of his office was a member of the Legislative Council. As new, more senior clerics arrived, Bedford had many disagreements with them, but in 1843 the Archbishop of Canterbury conferred on him the honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity.
His son, the Revd W Bedford, was later the first Rector of Campbell Town.